the grid

the grid

Saturday 31 December 2016

Happy New Year/Interim Space

It's New Year's Eve in the UK as I write this, and I felt an urge to come and say something here, to open up a space in case anyone else wanted to share greetings, encouragement, writing resolve...

My TLQ goals for the coming year, the next three sessions (I hope!). are to live deliberately (although without moving to the woods and taking my washing home to my Mum weekly. pleasant as both might be), think seriously about what being a Slow Professor and living a Slow Life might look for for me, and to enjoy my writing, whatever I write.

In comments to Susan's post here  KJHaxton and Dame Eleanor Hull both expressed interest in possibly hosting the next iteration of the group.  I've sent KJ an invition to be a site author but don't have DEH's blogging email (email me at mollimog at gmail dot com if still interested) - and as my second semester is slightly less busy than my first I'm also able to step in for any weeks if needed (albeit with some possible timezone issues later in the semester... maybe...).  Hopefully they'll be in touch soon with news about a new iteration, and in the meantime, do feel free to comment here if you've withdrawal symptoms...


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for making a space, JaneB! I had a similar thought in the midst of decluttering at my parent's house so it was a nice surprise to come here and feel in tune with other people in the group.
    I'm still thinking through how I want to formualte my approach tot he new year - it will be something about systems and boundaries - so I'll drop back with a longer post tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Yes, happy to co-host/host and looking back on last year, looks like week 1 started around the end of this week (Friday 6th of January for 2017). Does that sound reasonable or too early? 15 weeks takes us to around w/e 14th April which is Good Friday so perhaps a useful target.
    I'm going to think about the to-do list for the year tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting at the end of this week sounds great for me because my semester starts the following Monday, so I'll be in that dreamy space before everything starts when I am still resolved and optimistic.

      My two cents!

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. Happy to start the end of this week - even though it is the last week of my annual leave it's a good time to start shifting back to work mode with TLQ firmly in place.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I thought of this group yesterday, as I was mulling over my plans for the year ahead. . . So grateful it's been here for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've definitely missed this space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year everyone!
    I've missed this space, so hi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to all of you! Looking forward to finding a place for intentionality during this iteration. Last session, during and after thesis submission, I felt like I was just get dragged behind a wagon, bumping and scraping without much chance to jump up into the seat and grab the reins. I'm hoping this session can be different. Or I should say, I plan to make it different.

    Thanks, KJHaxton for getting us going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year all!

    I came across a blog post today with the giggle-worthy title "Living is Important, But Not Urgent." Full content is here, but it's basically a discussion of the Covey squares that we know so well:
    http://writepublishthrive.blogspot.com/2017/01/living-in-important-but-not-urgent.html?spref=tw

    See you all soon for the next iteration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I went and looked. "Urgent but not important > delegate it" made me shake my head over the difference between business and academia. To WHOM am I supposed to delegate? Try to get Basement Cat to fill out my annual eval forms? I don't think so.

      Delete
  8. I sent you an e-mail from my IRL account, since I long ago forgot the password to my DEH one.

    ReplyDelete